Monday, December 5, 2011

Berte


Berte





How do I miss you, my Friend?
Let me count the ways;
I miss your cheerful words and sunny smile
That blessed me all our days.


I miss Jeanie's cat, Grover, "guiding" you three steps ahead of you.
The look over his shoulder,
Then plod, plod, plod,
look back, etc.
He always stayed at his post.  He knew he had a job to do,
And he loved doing it.  Keep an eye on Berte. 

I miss hearing you sing as you took your walks;
(to the tune of Daisy, Daisy)
"Grover, Grover,
Grover in the clover,
I love you,
Yes I do!
Yes, I do, I do, I do!"

I miss your wit and wisdom
I miss your laughter when I got perturbed at myself
I miss the quiet, serious look that overtook your face
When I proclaimed something that didn't sit just right;
And then I would wait for a very short, wise insight
That always made me wonder, "Why didn't I think of that?"
I miss you just being there and always  happy to see me.

I miss your funny observations:
when you ate your egg
in the morning.
"I wonder what the chicken looked like!"  


I miss your dry sense of humor that you pulled out
of your bag of tricks from time to time:
"Could you do one thing for me before you go home, Dianna"
Sure, I said.
"Would you put the bucket back in the commode..., please...?"
You laughed so hard when you saw the look on my face!

And when I bumped your phone off the hook (often)
And it fell on the floor;
"That's nice", you'd say, flatly.
I'd look at you, perturbed with myself,
And you would laugh.

I miss doing the word games with you,
See who could get that last pesky question right.
I miss hearing you pray.  Actually, I can still hear it
in my mind and heart.  Your words seemed to be tacked down
as you went along, and then sealed with your 'amen'.

I love it that your Camillia bush popped open two beautiful
Blooms right at the top, on the last day of December.
Your beloved Camillia.
How we all miss you, Berte!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment